What to Bring


What to bring with you:

  1. A copy of your previous year’s returns (Federal and NJ)

  2. Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all dependents

  3. Income Examples

  4. W-2 from each employer

  5. Unemployment compensation statements

  6. SSA-1099 form showing the total Social Security benefits paid to you for the year, or Form RRB-1099, Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits

  7. 1099 forms reporting interest (1099-INT) dividends (1099-DIV), proceeds from sales (1099-B), as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets

  8. 1099-R forms if you received a pension or annuity, especially if you had a portion withheld for income tax purposes

  9. 1099-Misc form showing any miscellaneous income

  10. 1099-G State tax refunds

  11. Payment Examples

  12. Forms and canceled checks for federal and state income taxes paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments)

  13. 1098-T for college expenses for you and your dependents

  14. IRA Contribution information

  15. Deductions

  16. Most taxpayers have a choice of taking either a standard deduction or itemizing their deductions. If you have a substantial amount of deductions, you may want to itemize. You will need to bring the following information:

  17. 1098 forms showing any home mortgage interest

  18. Receipts or canceled checks for medical/dental expenses (including doctor and hospital bills and medical insurance premiums), receipts for prescription medicines, bills for home improvements such as ramps and railings for people with disabilities.

  19. Receipts for contributions to charity

  20. Receipts or canceled checks for all tax income and property taxes you paid, as well as records of tax refunds (Homestead, PTR/Senior Freeze)

  21. Credits

  22. Dependent care provider information (name, employer ID, or Social Security number).

  23. Receipts, canceled checks or 1099 forms related to continuing education (beyond high school)